When I moved to Montana and then Idaho 35 years ago, I had never heard of a switchback. What the heck is that? I'm from Nebraska and the terrain is pretty much flat. Nebraskans' can claim a few hills, but there's no need for a switchback. Over the years I have become very familiar with them. They are very helpful when you are hiking up a mountain. You definitely know you are "going up" and you are glad to see a switchback to help you hike up the trail.
A couple of days ago as Retired Mountain Man and I walked down to the bench to set up the game camera, I made the comment that we really should put a switchback in the steepest part of the trail. Retired Mountain Man built the original trail six years ago and it's a very nice trail except for that steep part towards the end, in the middle and at the beginning.
We have actually decided we will do it. We have a few days of sunshine ahead of us and we can't really work in the yard yet because it's still pretty wet. Plus, we haven't really done anything very physical for six months and we want to hurt ourselves. Therefore, we have talked ourselves into doing this project. On Monday Retired Mtn, Man spent the afternoon flagging what turned out to be three switchbacks.
We will begin the real work on it today. I have no idea how long two old duffers will last standing on the steep hillside, sawing out trees and brush and then using the Pulaski to dig out the trail. If I can still stand up, I will report back tomorrow.
(Thirty-five years ago? What the heck is a crick? Where I came from, it's a creek.)
Who came up with this idea?
3 comments:
Oh, that sounds like fun--exercise class wasn't enough this morning?
Yeah, no kidding. We'll see how long I last.
Looking forward to trying it out! :)
Post a Comment