After watching the testimony of Ambassador Marie "Masha" Yovanovitch, I realized what a remarkable woman she is and the seriousness of the smear campaign that men in places of high power used to ruin her career and remove her from her post.
She had graduated from Princeton and had a masters degree from the National War College. In 1986 she went into the Foreign Service and served as an ambassador under three presidents.
She worked for us, the American people. It was evident during her testimony that she was very smart and capable of the job she was assigned to do.
Most of all, she is a brave woman and an honorable one.
I noticed she was wearing a beautiful pin of an American flag on her jacket and I mentioned it on Facebook.
Since then I have received some lovely gifts. One from my daughter-in-law, Julie, and another from my sister, Kathy.
I am so thrilled to receive them. I wore the first one on Thanksgiving Day.
Yesterday, I received the package in the mail from my sis. The tiny flag pin in the photo below was my Grandmother Ella's. She traveled from England to Canada when she was a young girl. Then on to America after that. We believe that she received this pin when she became an American citizen and we are trying to find out what year that was, but think it was either the late 50's or early 60's.
Young Ella
This pin has the initials, JBK on the back. (Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy) I was an 8th grade student when John F. Kennedy was elected as president and for the first time I became interested in politics and both the president and first lady. I was not a catholic and I remember that my father, who was a Republican, voted for Nixon, but to his consternation, my mother voted for Kennedy.
My sis says she couldn't resist sending me this vintage pin of a guitar and I must say that I love it! I now have quite the collection of beautiful flag pins and have my choice of wearing one or more or all of them!
Beautiful gifts from two smart and honorable women, Kathy and Julie. Both have worked hard all of their lives and faced all kinds of struggles throughout and also have had many successes. I am so proud to have them in my life.
I believe that the women of America like Marie, Julie and Kathy, plus many others that I know, are going to make a real difference and change what is happening right now. Don't get me wrong, as there are men out there too - who will help. They are the men who support and respect these women and know what they are capable of.
These women are strong, brave and smart. They will not give up.
If you happen to know one. Thank them.

No comments:
Post a Comment