Saturday, December 21, 2019

Tree day

As the weatherman told us, a "river of moisture" is moving our way.  Yes, it has been raining and raining.  The inch or two of snow that was on the ground has either melted or turned into ice with water on top, soon to be melted.  



One of the items on tap for today is to cut down our Christmas tree.  Retired Mountain Man has two picked out.  My job is to choose one of them while looking at them from the inside of the car.  Cutting down our Christmas tree in the pouring rain really doesn't bring on the Christmas spirit.  It has to be done though, because tomorrow there are football games to watch and cookies to bake. 

 No, it won't even look like this photo from 2016.  You see, it's green out there.

The answer to yesterday's question:

Did I get my "get out of jail free" card from my doctor?  Yes, indeed, and even more.  My broken femur is totally healed and everything on the x-rays looks good.  Plus, since it has been three months since my first surgery, all of my restrictions on movement due to my hip replacement, have been lifted.  That was fantastic news that I wasn't expecting.  I can drive my car.  My goal now is to continue my physical therapy to regain my strength and also get my stamina back.  Things are definitely looking up.



I will be experimenting with a recipe for my Snowball or Mexican Wedding cookies either today or tomorrow.  They are my favorite Christmas cookie and one that my mom always used to bake.  She baked dozens of them every year and mailed them to all of her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren until she was 92 years old.  I have a letter from her that I cherish because the first sentence says, "Now Connie, don't expect to get cookies from me this year, because I just don't know if I can bake them anymore".  She was 85 then.  She never stopped baking them and they were always the first cookies to disappear off the cookie plate.  

Mom at 90

No, the photos of today's tree-cutting will definitely NOT look like this one from 2013.  I call this photo my "Norman Rockwell" Christmas card.



It doesn't matter.  There will still be a Christmas tree, decorated with all the ornaments and even some bubble lights.  Today is the day. 

No comments: