Friday, March 30, 2012

You can't get there from here.

On day two of our Vegas experience we decided that we would drive to the strip and go to the Mandalay Bay Casino so that we could see the Shark Reef Aquarium.

We made the mistake of parking at the Luxor Casino which meant we had to walk through the entire casino to get to the tram that would take us to Mandalay Bay.  That mistake would make it about a two mile walk just to get to the Shark Reef exhibit.

After the Shark Reef, the plan was that we would take the tram to the Excalibur Casino, walk to the MGM Grand Casino and take the Monorail to Caesar's Palace. It all sounds pretty easy, but it's not.  As you start to walk through a casino you realize just how big they are. 

Outside the Luxor Casino




At the end of our first two mile walk and we were finally at the Shark Reef.  The Shark Reef is set up as if you were in a sunken shipwreck at the bottom of the ocean.  The tanks are all around you, above and below. 

Boy, I would really like to touch this guy.






My favorite




This guy was cool though.




Lion Fish





























They were feeding the swordfish.  See the man with the long tube?



We finished viewing the aquarium and head back to the tram.




There are escalators everywhere in Vegas which is a good thing because all of the walking is on concrete or marble or something similar.  There is no grass, except the kind that you smoke and I don't think they call it that anymore?




 Escalators.  They are even outdoors.  You take the escalator up to the bridge, walk over the street and then take the escalator back down.  There is no climbing up the mountain in Vegas.


Going up



Going down




The Excalibur
We are on the tram!



We're off the tram and notice we are getting closer to the MGM Grand where we will take the monorail to Caesar's Palace.  How much farther do you think it is to the monorail?



Another bridge over the street.



Another escalator.



And we're walking....






We walk by expensive looking shops.  Violin Chick would love these boots.




Or maybe these?




As we walk we see a lot of women wearing high heels.  I don't know about you, but my feet are already starting to hurt and we're only halfway to Caesar's Palace.  (When we came back by this store, these boots were gone.  Violin Chick, did you buy them?)


I am not wearing my hiking boots, but I wish I were.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You want to know who bought those fancy see-through boots?? It was either Violin Chick or Lady Gaga (I get the two of them mixed up).

Maybe they'll show up at the Oyster Party.

Julie said...

I love the jellyfish. The rest of it looks pretty crazy. Someone should have stopped them from moving the Statue of Liberty to Vegas (just kidding). I hope you had a crazy good time!

Anonymous said...

It is definitely deceiving how far away things are there because of the scale. I've been there twice now and still walked away not dropping a dime in a machine or at a table. But they still find a way to fleece you somehow!