I started the first vat on Monday. It is pears, peaches and white grapes. I wish you could smell the aroma of the yeast working on all that sugar. The aroma fills the whole house. I have never made wine with peaches but I think it will add a very nice flavor to the wine.
Yesterday I spent the day steaming the pears from Uncle Jack's place. How did we pick them? The easy way. Jon had Phil drive his Kubota tractor to the orchard and he got in the bucket of the tractor. He picked three boxes in about 45 minutes. The pear juice is really sweet and has great flavor. I have made pear/grape wine the last two years and it turns out to be a very delicate dry white wine. Very nice.
I plan to start this batch of wine this afternoon. It will be pears and white grapes. Tomorrow I plan to strip the elderberries from the stems, steam them to get the juice and start the elderberry wine. I also have a gallon of plum juice that a friend gave me and I think it will be a perfect addition to the elderberry wine.
It takes six months to make a nice dry white wine. Next April this wine should be ready to bottle and hopefully look something like this.....
No comments:
Post a Comment