Welcome to Christmas Eve 2020. As my friend Linda said yesterday when she stopped by to drop off a Christmas gift, "Christmas is sure different this year".
Different
In our pod the traditional Christmas dinner is a "no-go". I am going to bake a Northern Mallard Duck for dinner. We had three of them in the freezer thanks to cousin Kermit and the one I baked a couple of weeks ago was excellent.
Also different - the photos for this post were taken in 2012.
We will hold on to a few traditions though as we're going to have oyster stew for Christmas Eve dinner. That was a tradition even where I grew up in Nebraska. My dad liked oyster stew and it was a real treat to have frozen oysters back then. I remember that they came in a cardboard container and it was a special order from the grocers.
I will say that as a child, I did not care for oysters and my brothers and sisters felt the same. My mom had to cook up a chili for the five kids. That tradition continued on all these years until recently. One soup is enough.
Today, we learned from son David that he is having a homeowners nightmare of trying to replace their water heater, which is a gas, forced exhaust heater. They are not available in Missoula so the on-going discussion via text is whether to replace with an electric, tankless?? Christmas Eve is not the best timing for home repairs.
Luckily, no appliance breakdowns here. Knock on wood.
Yesterday I baked cookies and today I will frost them. Also on the baking schedule is a peach pie.
I listen to the news and try to ignore all of the shenanigans going on by the powers that be. The world it seems is full of the "haves" and the "have nots".
Grace and mercy will be bestowed upon many who are undeserving while millions of people are grieving and suffering. It seems especially wrong on Christmas Eve.
It is true.
Every day is a gift.
Don't waste it.
As I browse through my folders filled with photos taken of our family and friends at Christmas and New Year's, it brings back many wonderful memories.
2012 seems more like a hundred years ago.
I love this photo of "the crash". I'm certain there was a discussion going on about exactly how it happened.
In 2012 this doormat was humorous. In 2020 we welcome anyone to show up at our door (as long as they are wearing a facemask).
Eight years later, it looks the same out there today as in the photo below. A little sunshine and a bit of snow on the ground. I don't remember what was happening when the photo was taken. I'm laughing and Retired Mountain Man looks a scared. Maybe someone just told us that Donald Trump was going to be president in 2016 and that in 2020 there would be a world-wide pandemic.
Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment