Our family Christmas celebration was a lot of fun. We even managed to squeeze in singing of several songs. We started out with some Christmas Carols but quickly moved on to our favorites, The House of the Rising Sun and If I Were a Rich Man, from Fiddler on the Roof.
For many years we held a New Year's Eve party with family and friends. There was a bonfire and a sled run with lanterns to light the run in the darkness.
When it was close to midnight, we all came inside to sing songs and the traditional song to sing at the stroke of midnight was, The House of the Rising Sun.
We sang many tunes, but one favorite, especially for the men, was If I Were A Rich Man. The vocals were important but also the Tevya dance was required when singing the song.

Oh mother, tell your children, not to do what I have done...

...spend your life in sin and misery, in the House of the Rising Sun.
Well, I've got one foot on the platform, the other foot on the train...
There is a House in New Orleans, they call the Rising Sun...
If I were a Rich Man, Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dum
All day long, I'd biddy biddy bum
If I were a wealthy man
I'd build a big, tall house with rooms by the dozen
Right in the middle of the town
A fine tin roof with real wooden floors below
There would be one long staircase just going up
And one even longer coming down
And one more leading nowhere, just for show
The most important men in town would come to fawn on me!
They would ask me to advise them like a Solomon the Wise
"If you please, Reb Tevye..."
"Pardon me, Reb Tevye..."
Posing problems that would cross a rabbi's eyes!
Boi! Boi! Boi! Boi! Boi! Boi! (These need to be sung perfectly)
And it won't make one bit of difference if I answer right or wrong
When you're rich, they think you really know! (Isn't that the truth?)
If I were a rich man
Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dum
All day long, I'd biddy biddy bum
If I were a wealthy man
I wouldn't have to work hard
Ya ba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dibba dum
Lord, who made the lion and the lamb
You decreed I should be what I am
Would it spoil some vast eternal plan
If I were a wealthy man?
It was fun and it has been several years since we have sung any songs together. We were amazed that we could still do it.
From our house to yours,
Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment