Thursday, April 23, 2020

Dumpster Gig

Retired Mountain Man and I look forward to our Pandemic Day outings every week.  One of those is our weekly trip to the dumpster site near Clark Fork.  A mask isn't even necessary since there's no risk of getting within six feet of anyone.


Today's trip reminded me of the Cougar Creek Band's first gig - at the the Clark Fork Dumpsters.  I wasn't certain how many years ago it was, but it didn't take long to figure that out.

Kristine and Glen Rolofson - fiddle and banjo.


Ellie Lizotte and her mandolin

Mark and Joe Heisel

 Linda - with what would be her first accordion.  Being a member of the band would require the purchasing of many instruments in the years that followed.  I am no exception.  It's surprising how many one can own, even though I can only play one of them at a time. Retired Mountain Man has given up saying, "What! Why do you need another (fill in the blank)?" 

Bruce Bishop - bass guitar.   Back then I had decided that I wanted learn to play the guitar, but after eleven years of practice, I should really stay with playing keyboards.



 Mike Chartock on the drums, although he would transition to baritone sax later.

Mark plays, trombone, trumpet, guitar and harmonica.

Our one and only band photo.  We've played together for eleven years and never managed to get it together to take another group photo.

Absent in the group photos are Neil and Ann Wimberley, Neil plays recorder and bass guitar, Ann plays the mandolin.

Joining us in later years were vocalist, Petra Stahl and percussionists, Julie Bishop, Larry Guldberg and Tim Gunn.

Countless gigs followed this one, but due to the size of our group, we required venues with a lot of space for the band.  We held hundreds of weekly band rehearsals, most of them in our basement which would eventually be turned into a music room.  The practice sessions were followed by potluck band dinners. 
Jens and Mathis would sit-in with us sometimes playing trombone

Let's just say we had a lot of fun.   We were planning to start rehearsal sessions again this summer, but now, who knows?  It's possible that we could rehearse at the dumpster site.  There's enough room there for social distancing.  One band member by each dumpster?

 What do you think?

No comments: