Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What is important in life?



 I have been working on the tablescape for Thanksgiving weekend.  Jon and I had a short discussion about how important tablescapes are.  Notice I said "short".  Thanksgiving is special as it's about family and friends.  Good food, playing games, crowded sleeping situations (sometimes the beds are not too comfy), lazy mornings with lots of coffee and conversation.  Of course there is football and it looks like there's going to be enough snow for sledding and a fire at the top of the sled run to keep warm. So, do we really need a tablescape?  My granddaughter, Rylee, and I think so.  It's part of what makes the Thanksgiving holiday special.  I have started working on it and when Rylee gets here, she is going to help me finish it and other decorations for the table.




It is 16.2 degress this morning and an official warning that snow is on the way and winter has begun in Hope, America.  At 7:45 a.m. the sun is just now shining on the top of Middle Mountain.

I do have other things to do today besides the table scape.  I am going to cook the base for the beef stew and freeze it.  Practice my guitar, of course  (As my 2 year-old grandson, Ben would say. He has learned the words, "of course" and uses them frequently)  Take the screens off the windows and store them! Sorry, it's been on my to do list for quite some time and I keep forgetting.  (sometimes I have to yell at myself)  Drink coffee and play my guitar in-between all tasks.


Thanksgiving prep schedule:

Monday:  make the beef stew for Wed. night dinner, drink coffee, play guitar

Tuesday:  Guitar lesson, Thanksgiving bath for both border collies (always an interesting task), cook the yams, make the stuffing, drink lots of coffee, play guitar

Wed:  bake pumpkin pies, scalloped corn and oysters, and apple crisp,    Dang.  I hope I have time to drink coffee and play my guitar

If you are hosting the dinner you already know there's also quite a bit of miscellaneous stuff in-between, just too boring to actually put on a list.

Thursday:  Turkey Day- Dinner for twelve. We will have a full house.  I love it!


Some photos of last year during Thanksgiving weekend.













I may have had too much coffee already this morning.....

3 comments:

Julie said...

I am so glad you are embracing the chaos we are bring to your house :)
Great post! I was already looking forward to it, but now I am super excited!!
You are wonderful!

Unknown said...

Of course Thanksgiving table decorations are VERY important, and what a wonderful tradition to share with your granddaughter. I still use the Pilgrim candles my grandmother used and everyone loves seeing them every year. I'm with you on the coffee and accordion playing too. :)

Anonymous said...

My mother still uses the pine cone turkeys the kids made in 3rd grade. And if a granddaughter thinks that table landscapes are important, then they certainly are!! Happy Thanksgiving to you all.