Sunday, August 10, 2025

Hot August Days

Our hot August days are back, at least for three or four more days.   It's a productive time around here as my green beans are finally producing and there are still a few blueberries to pick.  We had two-tenths of an inch of rain a few days ago which resulted in a few Red Lobster Mushrooms to pop out of the ground. 

We also have a forest fire just over the top of these mountains in the Lightning Creek drainage.  It turns out that the fire is burning in the old burn from the Cougar Fire in 2018.  We had several mornings of smoke, but most days the wind cleared out the smoke by mid-afternoon.  The bit of rain did help with the fire fighting efforts as well as several days of cool temperatures.  I don't think any of it is contained yet but it is tamped down, which is a good thing.

I can't take any credit for this photo as it came from Mary Franzel's FB page the first day the fire blew up.  She took an incredible photo of the fire from her place.  It has to be a bit scary to be so close it, but I am hoping it is moving away from her place.  




These beets became beet pickles and I forgot to take a photo of the jars before I stored them away in my root cellar.  I ended up with 10 pints, which is a nice amount for next winter.  Making beet pickles is a long process and also kind of messy, but worth it.  I still use my cousin Jan Bicha's recipe and think of her every time I make them, even though she is no longer with us.  I love having her hand-written recipe card.  

First green beans, 2025





There is always a bit of trimming with Lobster mushrooms, but they're so big that there's always plenty of the mushroom left to eat or dry.  There were too many for us to eat so I dried some of them yesterday.




Last night while I was looking for something to watch on TV I ran across our local PBS station and they were running Simon and Garfunkel's concert in Central Park, 1981.  I love all of their music and their songs always bring back a lot of good memories.  
The Boxer

No comments: