Last night around 9:00 the snow that's been on our roof for more than the past month had slowly begun to slide off. It was a slow thaw as it wrapped and hung down over the eave. It was impressive since it filled the entire window frame, almost reaching the top of the handrail on the deck. There was at least twelve inches of snow up there, getting ready to slide off.
I decided to try to take some photos of it and had both the windows open in the living room, leaning out taking shots. It was a little chilly but Jon didn't even complain when I asked him to turn off the lights so I could get a better photo.
The "deck" on the north side of our house is only 3 feet wide. There's just enough room to walk the length of the house, but in the summertime you can set a lawn chair there and look at the view, which we have done for 44 years.
When the deck was built our theory was that since it was only 3 feet wide, when the snow slid off the roof, most of it would miss the deck, but unfortunately, for the most part that is not true. A LOT of it falls within that narrow 3 feet.
This is probably the luckiest photo shot I've ever taken. As I leaned out the window, the snow broke loose along the entire length of the house and dropped to the deck. It happened fast. Within a millisecond and it was off the roof and on the deck.
(Julie says, "Quick! Go buy a lottery ticket". I think she's right.)
It was clear for a few seconds.









No comments:
Post a Comment