Sunday, June 23, 2024

In the Pink!

 

As my friend Marianne said in her blog this morning, "Welcome to the most beautiful, serene summer day."   It's Sunday and it seems like things should slow down to enjoy the day.  The last week or so some of the days haven't been that nice.  We had multiple rain and hail, and thunderstorms.   We usually don't get large enough hail to damage my plants but this time we did. 


I had heads of lettuce just the right size to harvest but I hadn't cut all of it. The hail managed to make shredded lettuce out of it and it also did a job on my broccoli plants.  They are pretty good size and now have big holes in their leaves.   I will still be able to harvest some of it and then I'll replant.

In-between the storms, Jon and I have been busy with multiple projects going at the same time.  We had our deck pressure washed a couple of weeks ago and we have been trying to decide on a deck stain color.  We have finally made a decision to go with American Chestnut as the color.  Our deck is redwood, but the redwood stains are just a bit too red.  

We also replaced our picnic table.  Jon's parents gave it to us many years ago.  It had been repainted multiple times and was literally falling apart.  We drove to Evergreen Supply in Clark fork and bought enough 2 x 4's to build a new one.   We hired our friend Bill to put it together.  The table has done double duty as I have used it all these years as my planting table to re-pot my flowers and vegetables.  Later in the summer it becomes an extra table on the deck.  


Yesterday I put a stain on the top and today I'll finish with the legs and underneath side of the table.  

Another major project is patching up our lawn in multiple areas.  I have tilled up one of my flower beds and planted it to grass seed.   Yesterday I checked and the seed is sprouting.    We also have multiple holes that Miss Lady has dug in various places in the yard that we've replanted.  All of the bare spots need new grass seed.  You can see my new lawn in the background of the photo below.


It's a spectacular year for my peonies and my rosebush is blooming along with my Beauty Bush.  They are all pink!  



Our friend Joe Heisel was here, and he and Jon discussed what trees need to be cut down.  Unfortunately, two of our birch trees in the yard are dying.  Jon and Jamie and David planted the birch trees more than thirty years ago.  It was my Mother's Day gift.  You can see both trees in the photo below.    



Joe started working on the one in front of the house.  He has cut off one of the large branches and will come back to do the rest.  Joe did a great job, as always.   He took this photo while he was up in the tree and you can see the huge limb on the ground below.

 It was a really large limb that could have caused serious damage to our roof if it fell on the house. 




















The tree next to our deck will probably make it another year, but it's also going to need to be cut down.  That's our shade for the deck on the west end of the house and I'm not sure how we're going to replace it. 


As you can see, there's always something on the agenda, every day, but it is summer and it's nice to just stop every once in a while, and take it all in.   Happy Sunday.



















No comments: