Thursday, May 2, 2024

Say goodbye to May Day.

 Yesterday was May Day.  It made me think of putting together May baskets when I was a kid.  They usually consisted of a cupcake wrapped in a colorful napkin and tied with ribbon.  I remember it being fun to leave them on the doorsteps of friends and family.

It's not celebrated anymore.  I even checked my google calendar for holidays, and there's nothing for May Day.  Kind of sad.

My photos today were taken in May of 2014.  I was a lot more ambitious.  I started all of these plants from seed, and they grew underneath my fluorescent shop lights in the basement.  I used to start almost everything, geraniums, pansies, marigolds, and all of my garden vegetables.  This year I will only start a few plants. 

This morning, we have a bright bluebird sky and I'm happy to see it.  The last few days have been cloudy, rainy and cold.  The sunshine is deceiving since it should feel warm when you step out the door.  Nope.

Yesterday was a trip to CDA for a pre-op visit with my new gynecologist, Dr. Penney.  Since all of our local ob-gyn doctors have left Idaho, due to our anti-abortion law, I needed to find a new doctor, but it has taken me three and a half months to get an appointment with him.  It just goes to show how much we should pay attention to who we elect to office.  I will be having a minor out-patient surgery in about ten days. 

At my first appointment, after I told him that I lived in Hope, he said that he plans to retire in Clark Fork and has already purchased property on River Road.  I have to say that I panicked for a moment and then I told him I hoped his retirement wasn't too soon because I just found him.  He said it was a few years off yet.  

A surgery on the horizon means that there's a lot of "to-dos" that need to be done.  There's always the "no heavy lifting" rule for several weeks after surgery.  I don't mind light duty, but there are a lot of spring projects and I'm sure the lawn needs to be mowed at least once before then.

I have grown this tomato variety for more than ten years.  Red Robin - patio tomato.  They produce lots of cherry tomatoes and it's very convenient to just walk out on the deck to pick some for my salads during the summer.

Jon's daily project has been poisoning the pathfinder plants out where we take our daily walks with the dog.  Plus, the surrounding area.  He's very determined to eliminate them for Lady.  

Speaking of Miss Lady, we have been going to visit our new groomer, Veronica, at North Idaho Animal Hospital.  It's been going really well and she's getting better about getting in the car and going to town.  On one hand, it is good that Lady is afraid of cars and the UPS truck, etc.  She has no desire to chase them.  That said, she has never wanted to get in the car, which is a problem. On the last trip to town, she willingly got into the back seat.  Progress.  

 

I met friends for dinner at our new Float House restaurant and the food was good. A plus for me is that they have a lot of gluten free items on the menu.  It was also good news to hear that the Old Hope Hotel is going to re-open, and the new name is B's Beacon.  Jon and I are looking forward to trying out the menu there.  

Today is music day.  Bruce, Mark, Larry and Tim will be here this afternoon to play some tunes.  We spent last summer and fall working on songs for a CD, which is finished.  I am enjoying listening to it while I'm driving in my car.   A couple of hours of music always feels good! 

I will also report that my tomato and pepper plants are doing well and should be about the perfect size by the time it's warm enough to plant them in the garden.


Jon found these next to one of his burn piles.  They're out there!

We have new birds at our feeder.  Cassin Finches.  


That's it for May 2nd, 2024.  We shall see what the rest of the day brings. 


No comments: