Saturday, October 28, 2023

Halloween Christmas Cactus

 It's the end of October but the store aisles are already filled with Christmas decorations.  My Christmas Cactus is doing the same by blooming now.  Why wait? 


The outdoor task list is getting really short and it's okay with me. 

Jon's dahlia tubers have been cut off, dug up, divided and placed in their containers for the winter.  He has decided to eliminate one of the flower beds next year.  Next year there will be only one dahlia flower bed.  They are such lovely flowers, but also a lot of work  It's time to make it easier.

Now he is happily working on buring his brush piles which means he and Lady are out in the woods every day, tending to the burning pile and playing fetch.  

I am slowly working on getting all of the leaves blown into their proper places.  I have several beds I put them on and then the rest are blown to the border of the yard.  There's a lot of them and the battery for the leaf blower only lasts through half of what needs to be done every day.  Some days I actually get the battery recharged so that I can finish two sessions of leaf blowing. Unfortunately, there's never a time when I can say all of the leaves are off the lawn.  It just doesn't happen.

Speaking of working on some "fun stuff"...

All summer long our Running With Scissors band has been working on songs to record.  Today I will go to the studio to add the Hammond B3 parts to the songs.  It's the final recording before Bruce works on mixing the songs.  After playing together for many years, we will finally have a recording of the group:  Mark Heisel, trombone, Tim Gunn, percussion, Larry Guldberg, percussion, Bruce Bishop, electric guitar and bass guitar, Drew Browne, bass guitar and yours truly, piano and B3.  We haven't discussed a title for the album yet.

My favorite song out of the nine we recorded is our cover of an old song, Just One Look, written by Doris Troy and George Carroll.  It was also performed by Linda Ronstadt and many others, but I like Doris's version.  Summer 1963.  








No comments: