Wednesday, January 19, 2022

 This week is appointment week as I have one each day, Monday-Wednesday.   Two doctor's appointments (yearly checkups) and one training appointment for Willie.  That's a lot of trips to Sandpoint for someone who usually drives there once a week. 

Fortunately, our county road and driveway conditions are improving.  Cudos to the county road maintenance crew because West Spring Creek Road, especially "the hill" is plowed and sanded and all of the snow berms are pushed back.  

Our driveway was 100% ice but now there are spots of gravel showing up, plus the skiff of snow we had last night really helps give some traction.  

As I drive to town I've been thinking a lot about spring.  Should I buy some seed-starting mix?  I wonder if any of the stores will have primroses for sale?  Should I take my begonias out of storage?

While I was in town Willie had a new experience with the FedEx delivery truck.  Apparently FedEx was not delivering anything to us, but for some reason decided to drive into our yard.  Jon had just let Willie outside and he stayed on the porch while the van drove in(good boy, Willie), but when the van didn't stop and continued around our circle driveway, that was too much movement for Willie to resist.  Off he went after the FedEx van.  

That driver headed down our driveway, stopped and then backed up into our neighbor's driveway.  By that time Jon had walked to the end of our driveway circle and when Willie saw him and heard Jon's calling him, he headed back home.  

We really don't want him learning to chase any vehicles so it looks like we have something more to work on. 

After I was returned from my trip we loaded up our weekly load of garbage to head to the dumpster site at Clark Fork and decided to take Willie with us.  Usually, he travels in his crate, but this time he was just on his leash and the in the back seat.  Another new experience for the puppy. 

It must have been exhausting because after we got home Willie was "out like a light" in his favorite sleeping place, the furnace vent.  

We have never had a dog lay on the floor vent to nap or get warm, but Willie does all the time.  It would seem like it would get too hot for him, but he spends hours there.  

So, another Janaury day goes by.  There was nothing too exciting about it.  It was all pretty normal.  After two years of Covid-19, this much "normal" seems great to me.

Yes, I know Covid is not over, but there are a lot of positives and new normals.

 Vaccines 

Boosters 

Covid tests  (even at-home tests.  Have you ordered yours?  It's free and easy to order.)    

Masks, even N95's are available -remember when we were sewing them for the hospitals?

Disposable gloves - you couldn't find them anywhere in 2020. 

Monoclonal antibodies treatments

Scientists around the world are working on new treatments and vaccines every day.  

Even though every country has a different approach to keeping Covid at bay, everyone is doing what they think is best and no one is giving up

Telephone doctor appointments ( one of the new benefits, which is really convenient.  

Curbside grocery pickup  (also pharmacy and other shopping)  I love curbside pickup as it saves me LOTS of time.

For someone who has to eat gluten-free, this was funny.  I'm very happy to have 2020 and 2021 in the rearview mirror. 

Life is definitely different now and I don't know if it will ever return to what it was before, but right now that's okay with me.  

Back in January 2020 we didn't know anything about Covid-19 including how it spread.  We're still learning, but we sure do know a lot more about it now.  Thank you scientists.

I'm still concerned about the stress on our healthcare community and want them to know how much I appreciate what they have done and continue to do.   The same goes for everyone connected to our schools.  There were so many problems and they have kept going through it all.                        

We are inching our way forward.  

60 days until spring.

-----I wrote most of this post Tuesday evening.  I want to add cudos to Dr. Crane and his nurse, Susan, who went above and beyond yesterday to try to find a breathing device for Jon to help him get over his bronchitis.  Susan called this morning to say that there wasn't one to be found in Sandpoint so Dr. Crane contacted the hosptial cardiology department and they have one for him.  All I have to do is pick it up today.  Thank you to Bonner General Health as well.----








No comments: