Thursday, February 11, 2021

2nd Dose in the arm

Today the dreaded Polar Vortex has finally reached us.  The temperatures are dropping and the wind is blowing.  Our low last night was 9.1 degrees and it's supposed to go below zero tonight.  

Retired Mountain Man and I are hoping that the power does not go out.  We can manage if it does by using our generator but when it's this cold, keeping it going would not be a fun project.

Yesterday we both received our 2nd Moderna vaccination and it was a strange feeling to be looking forward to getting a shot, knowing that we may have some side effects.  It didn't matter because we are so happy to finally have some protection from the deadly virus.  Soon I will feel comfortable going inside a store to shop although I don't plan to do that often.


I can report that my side effects were pretty immediate as early last evening I could not stay awake.  I had three naps before finally just deciding to go to bed.  This morning my arm is definitely sore, there's still some fatigue and a bit of nausea.  None of it is bad enough to take a pain reliever though.  I'll stick it out and let my immune system do its thing.

We are ready for the cold since we brought in extra firewood a couple of days ago.  Now, we plan to stay indoors as much as possible.  Nothing new there.  

Some good things for us - one year ago today on Feb. 14th Retired Mountain Man was having his surgery to remove the tumor.  We didn't know much about Covid-19 that day and no one was wearing a mask.  There were lots of people in the waiting room.  I was allowed to go with him to pre-op and to be with him in post-op.  

While I was in the waiting room a woman with a small child sat down near me.  She had a really bad cough.  Even back then that was enough to scare me.  I got up and left.

As his treatment went on for the cancer, everything became very concerning.  Would he still get treatment during the shutdown?  Yes, he did.  The pandemic just piled on more stress about the whole situation.  

After a year, he is cancer free and goes for checkups every 4 months.  We're grateful and thank all of the docs and nurses who hung in there with us all that time.

I can add even more gratitude for all of the medical community, the scientists, researchers and also to those who were volunteering yesterday at the vaccination clinic.  Our country owes them a lot.  They're the ones who are going to get us out of this pandemic.  

                                                                                            

Stay safe, Stay warm.  Get your vaccination.  


P.S.  I received my microchip with my 2nd dose.  I think I'm transmitting signals already.  

The frigid cold weather makes me think of this song, Girl From the North Country. 

No comments: