Hooray! It's finally raining today. We had a little bit yesterday, but not enough since it's really dry out there in Jon's woods. We're both really hoping for a good downpour today and I think it's starting.
I'm very happy to have some time for playing some music today. There will be no dragging around garden hoses today or moving the "Nelson". A day off.
Yesterday I made a new recipe, Vietnamese Beef Pho. Jon received the seasoning packet and the rice noodles for a Father's Day gift. Making the recipe was a bit complicated, but now that we've tried it, the next time will be easier.
It's very similar to one of our family recipes, Pork and Noodles. It's made with thinly sliced pork with a broth from pork and added soy sauce. Egg noodles are topped with the sauce, sliced green onions and a hard boiled egg.
The Beef Pho has very interesting flavors since it's seasoned with cinnamon, star anise, cardamon, ginger, onion and Thai basil.
There are dozens of recipes online, but the basics are a flavorful beef stock, with the spices, simmered in the stock. Thinly sliced beef strips, flat rice noodles, diced green onion and Thai basil and fresh bean sprouts. Wedges of lime. Optional toppings, are chili peppers, Hoisin sauce, cilantro, Siracha.
Some recipes call for making your own beef stock, with beef marrow bones, meaty bones, and beef brisket. All simmered for a very long time. (8-12 hours) Others for shortcuts, using beef bone broth, etc.
I used a combination of some beef marrow bones and a rich beef bone broth that I bought. It was delicious. Photo from thewoksoflife.com There's also a recipe there. It is one that starts from scratch with the beef broth.
Enjoy the rain!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment