Tuesday, August 6, 2024

August 7th and memories

I've displayed this photo/card of our friend Jose, on my hutch since 2008.  We are sad to learn of his passing last week. We will miss him.  His wife Chagua lived with Jon's family for a year as a foreign exchange student in the mid sixties.

I first met Jose and Chagua when they came to visit us for a week in Hope along with their daughters, Christina and Anna.   I think the year was 1995?   We thoroughly enjoyed their visit and did our best to show them around north Idaho.  

It was August and it was hot, but Jose was always "muy frio" and wore a parka to keep warm.  Even though he was always cold, Jose did love the fresh mountain air.     

Jose spoke very little English.  Christina and Anna knew some English and of course, so did Chagua.  Jon's sister Linda could speak Spanish.  The rest of us, not so much.  Let's just say there was always a lot of translating going on. 

                                         

This was a campaign card when Jose ran for office.  


We visited each other several times after their visit to Hope.  One time we all met in Puerto Vallarta.   That trip included Jon's parents and Jenny and Eric. 






Our last visit was in 2008 when Linda and Malcom and Jon and I flew to Torreon for a ten day visit.  Jose and Chagua took us on a road trip from Torreon to visit Zacatecas and Saltillo.   What a wonderful trip it was.  We met all of their family and we learned so much about Mexico, their culture, the people, the food... So many "firsts" for us. 



The family hosted a rodeo for us near Saltillo.  It was unbelievable!



At the rodeo - which was followed by a Mexican version of a barbeque.


In front of Chagua and Jose's house in Torreon.


We ate a lot of really good food.  Tamales anyone?  Tostados?  Posole? 


A view of Torreon.  It's not a small town.  Chagua drove us to the viewpoint and I think she got kind of lost driving back.  She loves to sing Beatles songs when she drives.  I will say no more...  

When we were on our plane getting ready to leave Torreon, a young man walked up to my seat on the plane and handed me my Canon camera.  Why am I mentioning this?  

I had left my camera in Chagua's car and she discovered it as she was getting ready to drive away.  She took it to the flight desk and told them to deliver it to me on the plane.  They did exactly that.  I just have to say that that would never happen in the U.S.   Not then.  Not now.

These two photos were of the trip to Puerto Vallarta.  We went fishing with Jon's parents.  It was sweltering hot on the ocean that day.  We did catch fish and when we finally got back to shore, they made us ceviche with the fresh fish.  That was another first for me.

Tomorrow -  August 7, 2024.  Jon's mom would have been 100 years old...





... and tomorrow morning Jon is having a total hip replacement.   We'll be remembering his mom and our friend Jose.   Maybe they're sharing some ceviche together. 

No comments: