Saturday, May 13, 2023

Hedgehog Day is tomorrow!

Officially, it's Mother's Day, but I think of it as Hedgehog Day ever since the one we celebrated 30 years ago when JP and David gave me a hedgehog for Mother's Day.

We named her Towanda, after the character Idgie in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. 



Towanda wasn't really a cuddly type of pet.  There were occasions when we had her out of her cage, but she didn't really like daylight hours much.   One time when we had her cage in our bedroom, she managed to get out.  We couldn't find her in the middle of the night, so all night long we could hear her stirring around, who knows where, in our bedroom.


Hedgehogs do look cute in photos though even though they are a bit prickly to pet.


I don't have any photos of Towanda, since it was prior to the digital photo age.  I found these lovely photos on the web.  


“Towanda” is a reference to the alter-ego of Idgie, a character in “Fried Green Tomatoes.” Idgie refers to Towanda as an “Amazon woman” and introduces herself at least once as “Towanda.” It is also a word you say when you want to be empowered, such as when Evelyn runs her car into the snobby ladies who take her parking space. 

I love being empowered, don't you? If you would like a little humor today, watch this short clip.

In the spirit of Towanda, this year I have received a very large package - with lots of pieces to put together.  It is a planting table and it looks like it will be beautiful once it's assembled.

LOL

 When I started opening the box and taking out the pieces, I couldn't help but laugh and think of Towanda. 


Photos of the finished product tomorrow.

Happy Mother's Day!

Towanda Baby!

No comments: