Sunday, January 8, 2023

January Ice

It's Sunday.  

In January.

We may see some sunshine today, but I'm not sure.  We're at a lull in our snowy weather which is alright with me.  The atmospheric rivers in California are keeping the snowstorms away from us and our daily temperatures above freezing. 

Miss Lady woke me up at 5:00 a.m. this morning which is a tad too early but I got up anyway, bundled up in my warm "take the dog out" clothes, and out we went.  Fortunately, she decided to take a nap once we were back indoors.  

I enjoy Sunday mornings because I record the CBS Sunday Morning show.  I can browse through the recording and watch the segments I'm interested in while drinking my morning coffee.  Then it's time for football.  

I'm in second place in the overall in our football pool, but my number is too far below the first place contenders, Jon and David.  They are tied for first place today.


All of my Christmas decorations are stored away for next year except for the outdoor lights.  I like to keep them on through February because they are so colorful and light up the darkness of the long winter months.  So, the Christmas lights on the barn turn on every day at about 4:00 p.m. and the same goes for the lights on my front porch, including the baby Christmas tree.  

They make me happy. 

Our driveway from the county road to our house, which is around 1/4 mile, is very icy.  It's been plowed but then it rained on it and froze and now we have ice.  I shift my car into X-mode whenever I'm driving down the road.  Other than that, one can bounce off the snow berms to try to stay out of the ditch.  

Unfortunately, the UPS driver didn't make it last week.  There was a lot of water running down the road underneath the ice/snowpack and it made for a very soft, muddy spot on our corner which was not really visible to drivers.  The UPS truck got too close and ended up in the ditch.  Now there are 3 orange cones set on the corner to warn drivers not to get too close.  One of the many hazards of winter driving.

That said, the icy road conditions are not keeping me home. 

 On Tuesdays and Fridays I go to the Hope Community Center for the exercise class and also on Tuesdays I am taking the watercolor art class.  The teachers are Kathy Gorup and Kally Thurman and they rotate the classes from basic drawing to watercolor and acrylic painting.  It's $5 for a two-hour class and so much fun.  I certainly can't claim to be an artist but it doesn't matter.  It's just fun to learn something new.  Plus, we are slowly working our way to spring. 

I hope you are enjoying your Sunday and the slow days of January.   

This is my January photo on my 2023 calendar.













No comments: