Tuesday, August 31, 2021

It feels like an early Fall is here.

I admit that I've had a reluctance to post on my blog.  You can tell that by looking at my blog post dates.   It not as if nothing has been happening here because it's been action packed.   

Our normal summer routines are happening as usual.  The garden bounty is hard to keep up with.  So many blueberries and plums.   My Friday night gigs are still happening with our last one coming up this Friday night.  


After months of heat we welcomed the rain whenever it came.  We had our concerns about the Trestle Creek fire and just how far it would spread.   

We hosted our first out-of-town guests since January 2020, when Jon's sister, Linda, and her husband, Malcom, arrived from Oklahoma.   We celebrated both of their birthdays with this volcanic birthday cake.  I took a photo of the inner workings.  It spewed smoke and there were sparklers in place of candles.  Yes, the lava was chocolate rice crispies.  


During their visit their grandson, Tanner, who is a Marine, was deployed to Kabul.  We all spent the entire time from Aug. 14th to Aug. 31st worrying about his safety, but also proud of what he was doing.  I can report that he left Kabul around 5:00 p.m. on Aug. 30th.  We will be happy when he returns to the U.S.


The little fellow in the photo above scared the heck out of me since the plant he was in was at the top of my steps on the porch.  I came walking up the steps and there he was.  We were kind of face-to-face, which was too much for me.


I'm working on my harvest and the carrots were ready to pull way before I was ready to do it.   Yesterday I pulled my onions and they are drying on the porch.  Next week it will be the beets and time to get out the canner.  The harvest dates seem to be at least a couple of weeks early, but that makes sense considering how many hot days we had this year.


The grape arbor is very lush this year and my pear tree actually had pears on it this year.  The first time.  There are two varieties and I have now picked both of them.




I will admit to being a plum pusher.  

Our tree was overloaded this year and I had to pull plums off before they ripened so that the branches of the tree didn't break.  Unfortunately, one of them did even though I had them propped up with boards for support. 

  People started running away from me whenever I approached them with a bag of plums in hand.

There were so many that I was forced into making plum jelly.  Twenty-one jars.  


Our hummingbird feeders (3) were busy all summer long. There were dozens of hummingbirds here.   In fact we have one straggler left.  I hope he decides to leave soon.  It's time.  

We had an issue with bald faced hornets attacking the birds at the feeders.  Jon's eagle eye happened to spot the nest.  It was hanging in a tree near where we park our car.   Extermination time.


We were happy to see the days when the smoke and haze left us, but the haze did make for some nice color on my photos.



Our youngest grandson, Ben, just turned 12 and today he got his first Covid-19 shot.  He was a happy and brave kid as he's been waiting to be old enough to get his shot.  He wants Covid-19 gone.  

His grandparents are happy too.  Everyone in the family has now been vaccinated except for our 4 year-old great-grandson.   We are back to wearing masks again to protect those kids who can't be vaccinated.  


It's looking like we will have nice weather for our upcoming Labor Day weekend.  I love the cool fall days and the time of the year to finish the harvest and put the garden to bed.   I hope you do too.  Enjoy.



No comments: