Thursday, January 7, 2021

This Land Is Your Land...

...This land is my land 
I know that most of you know all of the lyrics to this song.
Yesterday, I wondered if the lyrics were really true. 

Integrity and Truth 

Words that kept coming back to me as Jon and I watched the horrible events unfold yesterday. 

Patriotism and American values.

I thought of all of the years that the Cougar Creek Band marched in the 4th of July parade in Clark Fork.   Every year for more than ten years, we decorated a float for the parade.  We tossed candy treats to the kids as we marched and the band played This Land Is Your Land.


The people marching in the parade and the people lined up to watch the parade - we were celebrating America.  What it means to be an American.  We love our country.


Our families were all involved in creating and decorating the float, including all of the kids and grandkids.  Some of them played instruments and marched in the parade.  All I can say is that I am horrified by what they watched on TV yesterday.  

 I hope that our leaders will finally have the courage to step up and do what is necessary to save our country.


Leadership is crucial for America in this moment.  

Leadership that contains the core values of honesty, truth, 

kindness, compassion, and most of all respect for all people

and a commitment to serve our country.

This performance of This Land Is Your Land by Pete Seger in front of the Lincoln Memorial seems fitting for today.

No comments: