These might seem like some strange photos to post on Thanksgiving day, but it was during the week of Thanksgiving or directly after that our family had the chance to go on a couple of cruises.
The first cruise was in 2002 and I can tell you that it was not on our bucket list back then, but Jon's parents asked us if we thought we could work it out to go and after thinking about it for a couple of days we decided why not.
Jim and Lois on our first cruise.
After what we've all experienced the past six months with the pandemic, the possibility of taking a cruise seems unlikely. It now seems like it was an opportunity of a lifetime. On the first trip we visited Aruba, Venezuela, Dominica, (my all-time favorite), Grenada(also very beautiful), and St. Martin.
Venezuela stands out because there was a two week window of time when the government there allowed cruise ships to visit. We spent a day long trip that went by bus up into the mountains there to visit a glass-blowing factory. What an interesting experience.
Then in 2006 we organized what was called "The Family Cruise". Seventeen people from both sides of our family went on the cruise.
This is Belize City.
Leaving port and watching the Nebraska football game on the big screen in Galveston, Texas.
One of the best memories. My mom, standing on a chair, rocking out at Carlos and Charlie's in Cozumel. Afterwards, she claimed that she DID NOT do that.
I have photographic proof.
She would have preferred that I just post this photo.
The food was as tasty as the turkey I'm going to prepare today. Well, maybe better...
On the trip up the mountain in Venezuela, we were at the front of the bus. You can't tell it from this photo, but it was a wild ride back down the mountain. The bus took up most of the width of the narrow road. Our tour was late getting back to the ship so our bus driver was driving as fast as he could to get there. We careened around blind corners and were lucky there was not another vehicle coming at us.
I'm not a catholic, but at one point I remember wishing that those were rosary beads hanging from the mirror.
I don't mind not being able to go on a cruise again. One day this will all be over and I will be happy just to be able to enjoy a meal with my family and friends again.
I almost forgot to post this link to my friend Marianne's blog. She has some beautiful words about giving thanks today.
Happy Thanksgiving!











No comments:
Post a Comment