Friday, January 10, 2020
The quest for a gluten-free pizza
Retired Mountain Man and I will be cheering for the Seahawks this weekend and enjoying our favorite snacks during the game. What sounds really good to me is a pizza.
There is a problem though.
Pizza crust without gluten is almost impossible to make. Yes, they might try to tell you that those frozen pizzas that are gluten free taste like pizza, but they don't.
I have been trying different recipes for the crust. Just like everything else that is gluten free, there are dozens of recipes online that claim to be "the best pizza crust". It's a challenge just to try to narrow it down to one or two.
This time I might finally be close.
After doing some research on the subject, today was to be the test day. I finally decided on a pizza crust recipe that contains a small amount of almond flour, psyllium husk and both yeast and baking powder. I know, it's a strange combination, but I want a pizza with a crispy crust.
The crust had to be baked for 15-20 minutes before adding the toppings and as you can see from the photo, I baked it a bit too long. The end result though was that the rest of the crust was crispy.
My pizza toppings are pepperoni and black olives with mozarella cheese and a bit of cheddar cheese.
Once the toppings are added, it's baked another ten minutes or until the cheese melts.
The next time around I would try to find better pepperoni since the brand I used didn't seem to have much flavor, but all-in-all it tasted like I had pizza for dinner. The first time in over a year.
Ah. The simple things in life.
Onward to Sunday. Go Hawks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment