Wednesday, July 24, 2019

All in one day.

Yesterday our neighbor and building contractor, Adam Mitton, and his assistant, Jake, were here to repair our deck on the north side of the house.   I think it has been 38 years since the deck was built so it's understandable that the posts need to be replaced. 


All of the handrails would have to be removed and some of the decking.

The decking and siding looks like it needs another sealer and stain treatment.  I really don't want to think about that at the moment.  Ugh!



Jake, it turns out, is P.J. Allen's son.  P. J. and our son, David, were good friends in high school and both played on the football team.  He graduated from high school last year.  Adam and Jake were very efficient and worked really hard, as they barely took a break all day long.  When they stopped for lunch, they were back at it in twenty minutes - on a really hot day.



Retired Mountain Man ended up with a hammer in his hand.  Many years ago during the summer months he worked for Kenny Walraf, (also one of our neighbors) building houses.   

Adam and Jake had it all repaired and everything back in place by 4:00 p.m.  Amazing work.  They will be back on Thursday to finish by adding some concrete to the stairway off the deck and to replace another post on the barn.



My flower pot that was on the deck rail needed to be moved while the construction was happening.  I think I like it on the table.



A thunderstorm rolled through here around 10:30 last night and the wind was blowing so hard that I went out on the deck to set some of my planters off the handrails.  This morning everything seems to be okay.  In the past I've had them blown right off the deck onto the ground.   I'm so glad there is no damage. 

It seems we get to enjoy a cooler day and then we heat up again on Thursday. 

Summertime, summertime....


1 comment:

Helen said...

Absolutely - that planter belongs on that tablecloth on any table! What a beautiful place you have carved out there!