Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Petunia and Pansies and Dreams of Spring

It is time to start the flowers for spring.  I have started my first tray which has Petunias, Pansies and Angelonia.  This is the first year for trying Angelonia as I have always started Bacopa for my trailing plant.  I hope I like it.  

I like to get the seeds started under my lights and they should be ready to blossom by May 15th.  I use old VHS tapes to hold up my lights.  It raises the lights about 1 inch as the seedlings grow.  You must keep the plants within one inch of the lights!  Important!  They will get leggy if you do not do this!  As you can see, my light system is homemade.  A shelf with three lights mounted to the board.  The lights do not need to be "grow" lights.  Just regular fluorescent lights will do.

1 comment:

DJB said...

AH, yes! The classical VHS tape stacking technique! I think I saw that once on the Victory Garden. :)

It's great to hear about the behind the scenes work you guys do on the wine and spring planting! All we ever see is the amazing finished product!