Jon and I picked two 5 gallon buckets of wild elderberries on Sept. 20th. I de-stem them and put them in my steamer/juicer to get two gallons of elderberry juice. The juice tastes really good. I picked a five gallon bucket of concord grapes this year and a 2 & 1/2 gal. bucket of white grapes. It's a poor harvest this year. Normally, we would have 5-7 five gal. buckets of grapes. I steamed the grapes and stored them in the frig until ready to begin winemaking project. I started the fermentation on Oct. 1. I am making 5 gal. of elderberry wine, 5 gal. of concord grape wine and 5 gal of a concord grape/elderberry blend.
Recipe: makes 5 gallons
Concord Grape
2 1/2 gal. grape juice at room temperature
2 1/2 gal water at room temperature
sugar to S. G. (Specific Gravity) 1.085 (around 15 cups) but you must test it
4 t.pectic enzyme
dissolve wine yeast in 1/4. cup water at about 100 degrees
Place wine vats in a warm room (75 degrees)
Sterilize all equipment as you work with the wine
Recipe: Makes 5 gallons
Elderberry Wine
2 gal. elderberry juice at room temperature
3 gal. water
sugar to S. G. 1.085
4 t. pectic enzyme
wine yeast dissolved in 1/4 c. warm water (see above)
The Concord Grape/Elderberry is a matter of taste. The elderberries have a strong flavor. I used 1 & 1/2 gal. of grape juice and 1 gal. of elderberry juice and added water to 5 gal. Sugar to 1.085. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.
No comments:
Post a Comment