Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Dell Easy

 And it was still under warranty?  No way!

Yes, it's true!  ..... and this is the story.

On Sunday evening after our jam session and dinner, Retired Mountain Man sat down at his computer.  (You should know that he spends most of his time sitting at his computer and reading on the Internet.  He is on top of all "Breaking News" stories.)  But this time his computer would not start up.  It would try to power on and boot but would stop and just kept recycling.

It was getting late in the evening and I gave up troubleshooting the problem.

I said I would call Dell in the morning because, (and this is the unbelievable part) it was under warranty until August 25, 2013.   As you well know, every appliance or tech gadget fails one month AFTER the warranty expires.

We went to bed.

 Poor Retired Mountain Man was in a state!  He loves his computer.  He lives for his computer.  He woke up at 2:00 a.m. and started crying and asking me what was he going to do without it?

On Monday morning at 7:00 a.m. Pacific Time, I called Dell and went through all of the procedures to troubleshoot what part was not working on the computer.  It brought back memories of taking apart hundreds of computers at Sandpoint Middle School and putting them back together again.

Aleem, the very nice Dell technical support specialist, and I got to know each other.  I took out the video card, the memory sticks, and disconnected the hard drive and the DVD drive which meant it was either a defective power supply or it was the motherboard.

Aleem said both parts would be shipped to the technician nearest us (nearest us meaning Spokane, 92 miles away) and that it would take a couple of days to ship the parts.  The technician would call us and then come to our house to fix the computer.

 I hated to tell Retired Mountain Man that it was going to be several days before his computer was repaired, but I had no choice. He took it well, realizing that we do live out in the wilderness so to speak and you have to give up some things to do that.  Like, it takes at least a week to get anything repaired or delivered.

The next morning (TUESDAY) the Dell technician from Rathdrum, (only 57 miles), called to say he had our parts and asked what time would we like him to be there?  Wow!  Dell actually FedExed the parts overnight.

 Yes, he did get lost trying to find our house, but that happens to all repair people.  By 4:30 p.m. the computer was fixed.  It was the motherboard.

  All I can say is that it was just too easy. My good karma was in overdrive. The whole experience left me with a, "maybe I should buy a lottery ticket" kind of feeling.

Yes, absolutely.

 I could be a winner.

1 comment:

Julie said...

No Way! I hope you DO buy a lottery ticket!