Friday, November 18, 2016

I will no longer complain.

One more item on the "getting old" list has been checked off.  On Tuesday I had a cataract removed from my right eye.  It was a very interesting procedure.  There were lots of eye drops to put in my eye for several days prior to the surgery and then many more at the hospital.  I could opt for sedation or not and chose not to.  That meant that when they rolled me into the operating room I was awake and got to look at everything on the way.

Wow!  There were a LOT of supplies and equipment.  Some in the hallways and several huge rooms with the doors open with shelf after shelf of supplies, etc.   It is no wonder that health care costs so much.  Everyone is always complaining about how much it costs, but maybe there's a reason?   Just for my cataract surgery, I had two nurses in the pre-op room.  I also had an operating room nurse and there were two others in the room besides the doctor.  I don't know what their job was.   The surgery itself only took 15 minutes, but I was at the hospital for four hours in the pre-op and post-op.  My doctor performed six surgeries that day.

I think back to my hip replacement last Spring, which was much more complicated and required four days in the hospital and home health and PT for two or more weeks.   I have decided that I am not going to complain anymore about how much health care costs.  I am grateful that I have Medicare and my supplemental insurance to help pay for the cost.  With the new Republican administration coming into power and their intention to repeal Obamacare, many people are going to lose their coverage.  It is unfortunate that we can't all agree that everyone should have good health care.

There were several times in the past when we could not afford health insurance so I know how they feel.  We were always so worried that one of our kids would need care and we just didn't have the money.   Luckily for us, we managed to get through those years without too many major issues although there were a few.
Thirty or more years later, our country is moving backward instead of forward, attempting to "make American great again".

My eye surgery went extremely well.  The doctor talked to me through the entire surgery telling what what going to happen next, etc.  My care both before and after could not have been better.  Kudos to Dr. George and Bonner General Health.

The improvement in my eyesight is amazing.  It has been difficult to drive at night because all of the lights had rings of lights around them.  Tonight I drove home and all of the headlights and taillights look normal.  One light each, not ten!

Unfortunately, I can now see all of the dirt in my house that I have been missing for the past ????

Whoa!  It means I have to clean house......

I am not going to complain.....

No comments:

Post a Comment