Sunday, November 20, 2016

Focused on the piano at the moment.

I have decided to deactivate my Facebook account.  If you would like to know what Retired Mountain Man and I are doing here on the mountain, I will be posting here on my blog every once in awhile.

I am continuing to work on my jazz piano studies and my guitar.  Finally got around to having my piano tuned and in the process learned so much from Kurt Kondratko, pianist and piano technician, who was so very kind to show me some of the mysteries of my Yamaha keyboard.  The manual was written in Greek or maybe it was just me and I just couldn't understand it.  He opened up a whole new world of piano possibilities for me.   If you don't know Kurt, you should know that he is also a very talented musician and it was wonderful to hear him play.

On another note......🎜🎝

Did you realize that behind every favorite song is an untold story? Maybe I will now have some time to tell some of my stories.  Many years ago one of my favorite songs was:  By the Light of the Silvery Moon.

The piano that I first took lessons on when I was in the fourth grade, was of course, an old upright.  I don't know how they did it, but somehow it was carried into our basement by (at least) four strong men and set up for all of the Reineke children to take lessons.   (I can't remember how many of us actually took the lessons.)  

My piano teacher was the organist at our church and she lived directly across the alley from us.  Lessons cost was 25 cents.  I was a rotten student.  I didn't practice.  When I finally did start to practice and could actually play something, I was determined to learn to play Silvery Moon.   Whenever my family got together my Grandparents liked to sing that song.  Either my mom or one of my aunts would join in with some harmony.  I finally did master it and that meant I got to accompany them when they sang.  Now I wish that I could hear them sing it again.   Sadly, they have all passed on, but what great memories.

We will be getting ready to make some more family music memories this week.   Our Thanksgiving turkey is in the fridge and I've bought some of the fixings.  We are looking forward to spending some time with friends and family for a few days.   Enjoy some good food, some music, visit and play a game or two.  

Maybe I should teach them that song.....






1 comment: