Sunday, October 23, 2016

Born on a mountain top in Tennessee.....

I am cleaning and moving things to get ready for carpet installation.  Apparently I had not cleaned in one area for about 30 years.  I know, that sounds really bad, but the location was extremely difficult to get to.  A closet in the basement that is four feet deep.  I found these on the concrete floor in the very back corner.  There was a blue box and an old plastic grocery bag with ???? in it.  I admit that at my age I had to get a broomstick to pull and drag them out.

I could be wrong but I think this record player was a Christmas gift to Jamie when he was 5 years old.  His favorite song back then was Davy Crockett, the theme song to the mountain man's TV show.   He played it over and over.  He liked it so much that when his baby brother was born, he chose his name, David.


We've had water damage in the basement several times, so it's a little worse for wear, but I bet it works.  The problem is that I don't have any vinyl records left to test it out.  Darn.  I just might have to buy one to find out.

So what was in the grocery bag?  Treasures that went with the "Army Battle Mountain".   It was a Christmas gift to David in about 1980.  I searched for photos of the playset on the web and found one that sold on ebay for $250.00.  Wow.  Too bad I don't have the rest of it.....


It's time for it to be donated to the thrift store.  There are no flashing lights or obnoxious noises that came with these toys, but there were originally about 200 assorted army men.  I can't tell you how many times I stepped on one with my bare feet.  They were pointy little things....."OUCH!  I'm gonna kill that kid".  Oops, I don't think you're supposed to say those kind of things anymore.   Fortunately for him, he's still living.


For your listening pleasure.....

4 comments:

  1. Yes! Cool! "Following his legend into the west!" True that.
    What treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that record player. I also played Elvis records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and a lot of other rock and roll. I think it was the only record player you had for quite some time.

      Delete
  3. I remember that record player. I also played Elvis records.

    ReplyDelete