Friday, October 16, 2015

Art, music, wine making.....not just another weekend in Hope. (updated)

Yes, yes, yes.  I am posting on my blog.  Last weekend was filled with fun events.  On Saturday Ann and I went to the Scotchman Peak's Plein Air workshop at the Outskirts Gallery and Marketplace.

 I can't say that I am an artist.  I do have watercolors and I have attempted to paint, but not very successfully.  I will say that I was encouraged to try it again after listening to the last artist speak and paint, Gregg Caudell.

This painting of his is titled, "Big Rock Candy Mountain".  How many times have we sung that song at our sing-a-longs?

"One evening as the sun went down......"

 ......and the jungle fires were burning."


He is a plein air artist.  It seems like it would be a wonderful way to enjoy the view and to try to capture the moment.


High Pasture



This one is, "Riders in the Sky".  Another song favorite at the sing-a-longs.


His painting technique was unbelievable.  It was so interesting to watch him paint and I loved all of his suggestions for a beginning artist.  I highly recommend taking the time to check out his artwork at Fine Art America.  He also has a blog.

I wonder if he has painted "The House of the Rising Sun".  If he has, I'd better start saving my $$.

The next day, I went back to the Outskirts to play some music with Bruce Bishop and Drew Brown.  It was a first time event for me playing with two very talented musicians.  It was another magical afternoon.  (Thank you to Paul for the photo and Vera for sending it to me.  It was a milestone event for me.)



Notice how serious I look?  That's because I am doing everything I can to keep up with those two!



photo from Outskirts website

On Monday, it was back to reality as it was time to start our 2015 wine.  It takes most of the day as there's a lot of sterilizing each step of the way, but the wine is in the vats and the little yeasties are already working away this morning.



The wine will be in the vats for about ten days, then we will rack it off into 5 gallon glass carboys.  The wine will age in the carboys until bottling time.  It takes about six months for the white wine and a year for the red.   Patience is required.



April Dawn from 2011
.....down the tracks came a hobo hiking, he said folks I'm not turning.  I'm headed for a land that's far away, beside the crystal fountains.  So come with me, we go and see, the Big Rock Candy Mountains.


3 comments:

  1. I think it comes trickling down the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed you playing at Outskirts!!! And the paintings are gorgeous. No wonder you were inspired!

    ReplyDelete