Thursday, July 31, 2014

Small town America

Burwell has it's own Veteran's Memorial.



The Veteran's Park has a wall of bricks with the names of all of the veterans from Burwell.  My dad and uncles names are on the wall.  Also many of my cousins and a lot of other very familiar names that I hadn't thought about for years.


All of the Simpson's are relatives.  There are a lot of them.


On Saturday evening we were all invited to dinner at my cousin Teena and Harry's farm near Elyria, which is about 6 miles from Burwell.   Of course there was a windmill to climb.












It was a beautiful summer evening and we celebrated Mitzi's 60th birthday with a birthday cake and five pies!  One of which was my Grandmother Phillipp's recipe for Sour Cream Raisin Pie.  Yes, it was very good.  




The high school was across the street from where we lived.  The arrow points to the principal's office.  I was only there once and I was innocent.


Our house was actually directly across from the tennis courts which are at the east end of the school.  I remember that they used to flood the court in the winter so that we could ice skate.




Two of the buildings on the square.  The one on the right had the drug store and a dime store.  The dime store had everything, including penny candy.  Do you remember penny candy?  Candy cigarettes?  You could buy licorice strings or pieces for a penny apiece.

The building on the left was my father's real estate office.
 As you drive around the square the building on the right is new.  It is now the drug store.   What I remember there was a bakery and also the meat market and grocery store.  I remember going to the meat market for my mom to buy hot dogs.  They were made there and they tasted so good.  The hot dogs that you can buy today taste nothing like them.   Ah, the good old days......

I am sorry that I didn't get photos of the other side of the square.  On that end was the American Legion Club, where you went  for dinner and dancing.  Our band played there many times.  If we turned up our amps too loud, the old duffer in charge would turn off the electricity.  Right across the street from the American Legion Club is the drive-in restaurant where you could get a burger and a root beer float delivered to your car.

One of the local haunts that is missing now is the Blueberry Hill Cafe, which was on a hill on the edge of the town.  My Uncle Jerry owned it for a while and I don't know the story of why it is no longer there.  A lot of my hometown looks very much the same and it's definitely an example of small town America and a very nice place to live and grow up as a child.

My next trip back to Burwell....

Go Longhorns!

Here's to the Class of 1966!  Our 50th reunion is on the horizon.


No comments:

Post a Comment