Thursday, November 7, 2013

Bad note....

My older Yamaha keyboard, an NP 30, has one note that plays very loudly whenever I play it.  Yesterday I decided to take it apart to see if there was anything I could do to fix it.

 After removing 32 small screws on the back, I took the cover off.

 Very carefully.

The location of the bad key.


I did some research online and found out that sometimes there is dust that keeps the contacts from working properly, but I really didn't see that much dust on mine.  I did clean them off and I cleaned off the board.


The photo doesn't show it very well, but there is carbon on the ends of the contacts.  Neither Retired Mountain Man or I could see that anything looked different from one to the next.   I read that one can purchase the carbon compound for the contacts, but I'm sure that would solve my problem.




I put it all back together and yes, I still have the loud sound on the G note.  The only option I have now it to take one of the rubber strips of contacts from another location on the keyboard, (one that I don't play as much) and exchange it.

If that doesn't work then I have to decide whether it's worth it to take it to a repair shop?  I am not sure where that would be.

 Maybe Spokane?

 I hate going to Spokane.






No comments:

Post a Comment