Friday, May 10, 2013

Kushala Karma

I have been reading about Buddhism.  Today I did some reading about Karma and I'm not sure I can buy into the "past life" idea, but other parts of it appeal to me.

Definition:

Karma means "intentional action" and refers to the universal law of cause and effect. Karma is created not only by physical action but also by thoughts and words.
Just as action causes reaction, karma causes effects that come back to the original actor. Karma also tends to generate more karma that reaches out in all directions. We bear the consequences of the karma we create, but everyone around us is affected by our intentional acts as well, just as we are affected by theirs.

Karma can be of two varieties - wholesome karma or good karma and unwholesome karma or bad karma.  Kushala or akushala karma - is karma that is wholesome or unwholesome. Kushala means intelligent or skillful, whereas akushala means not intelligent, not skillful. 

The karma of planting these seeds becomes...

This karma, which many people can enjoy.  

 I'm not certain this really applies, but I am going to think of it that way.


The music for today is: 


 

I Wandered by a Brookside

The lyrics are a traditional variation of a poem entitled The Brookside written by Richard Monckton Milnes (Lord Houghton) c. 1850 and the tune was created by Barbara Barry (1984).

LYRICS:

I wandered by a brookside
I wandered by a mill
I could not hear the water
The murmuring it was still
Not a sound of any grasshopper
Nor the chirp of any bird
But the beating of my own heart
Was the only sound I heard

The beating of my own heart
Was the only sound I heard

Then silent tears fast flowing
When someone stood beside
A hand upon my shoulder
I knew the touch was kind
He drew me near and nearer
We neither spoke one word
But the beating of our own two hearts
Was the only sound I heard

The beating of our own two hearts
Was the only sound I heard

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment