Saturday, March 23, 2013

I have these big piano-playing hands. I feel like I should be picking potatoes?--Sandra Bullock

 Really?

Picking potatoes is one of the things I do with my hands... and a little bit of piano playing.

Yesterday at my drawing session at the Outskirts Gallery in Hope, the subject for the day was to choose a small stone, hold it in your hand and then draw your hand holding the stone.  I have never tried drawing a hand or hands.




Did you know that you think of the palm of your hand as a cube and your fingers as cylinders with ball joints between them?

I had no idea.  It was very intriguing to me.  Then I began to think about all of the things that I do with my hands.  There were the everyday things, brush me teeth, comb my hair, wash my face, do the dishes.   The things I really enjoy such as playing the piano, the guitar, drawing, painting, pulling those nasty weeds out of my garden, flipping off the jerk who pulled out in front of my car?  Say what?
"If evolution really works, why do mothers only have two hands?"  -- Milton Berle
Then there is the sensation of touch.  Being able to touch someone you love and care about.  The personal touch of shaking someone's hand when you first meet them.   The softness of a touch.
"You can always tell a lot about somebody by the way the put their hands on an animal."--Betty White
 I didn't finish the sketch of my hand holding the stone.  I am thinking about doing more sketches of the hand, in different positions.  NO, not the "flipping of the jerk"position.  It doesn't need to be drawn, but it certainly gives one a sense of satisfaction, right?

When I was looking at quotations about hands, this was my favorite:

"I looked at my hands to see if I was the same person.  There was such a glory over everything.  The sun came up like gold through the trees and I felt like I was in heaven." --Harriet Tubman
 I remember looking at my hands one day and suddenly I realized that they looked like my mother's hands.  I felt very comforted by that thought.





What will you do with your hands today?















No comments:

Post a Comment