Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Essential - in January.

January is the month to start new things.  Why not?   There's nothing else to do.  This morning I transplanted my four Red Robin tomatoes into 8' pots as they are starting to bloom.


Next.......

I decided to eliminate my Last Chance Diet blog as I don't want to spend that much time on the Internet.  I also deactivated my Facebook page.  I am working on eliminating the non-essential things in my life.   Whoa!

This means that I may really bore you from time to time with some of my healthy eating, watercolor painting, exercise logs, playing music with the band, or gardening posts.

To help promote my goal of  lowering my high blood pressure and cholesterol, my focus for the last three weeks has been positive thinking.  The plan was to only have one goal to focus on at a time.  The reasoning here is that if you set too many goals, you will give up.

"Success is getting what you want.  Happiness is wanting what you get."
Dale Carnegie


With that in mind I will tell you that I am on Day 2 of something called the DASH Diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension).  This healthy eating diet is promoted by the American Heart Association.  It is their new low-carb version of  eating healthy, which is exactly what I was looking for.  I am a protein girl!  What Nebraskan is not?  I am trying to eat less meat, but I have had no luck becoming a vegetarian.  "Where's the beef?"

Exercise. Ugh! OK now.  Think positive.  Exercise is awesome.  It feels great once you are done.  It's a good thing! 

I am very fortunate that Mandolin Ann has lent me her extra Nordic Track.

I don't know if I told you, but I am not athletic.  That means I have have no athletic ability.  None. Zip.  Zero.  Will fall down and look stupid attempting any sport.  It has taken me a week of getting on the Nordic Track to be able to actually use both my arms and legs at the same time.  Thank God there is no video.  These are not positive thoughts, but I turned them around and kept trying.  I told myself every day, "You can do this".

Notice that I published this photo very small.




What else?

The Krewe of Cougar Creek has been practicing like crazy every Sunday to get ready for our Mardi Gras gigs.  We are really looking forward to playing at the Outskirts Marketplace Cafe and of course, our own Mardi Gras event on Old Cougar Road.



One last thing.  Where else could you live and be so lucky as to have a place to go practice drawing and learn to paint?  On Friday mornings, Kallie, at the Outskirts, hosts a drawing session.  Anyone can join in.  Plus our very talented neighbor, Kathy, has been teaching us how to paint with watercolors.

  
This is my latest watercolor project.



No comments:

Post a Comment