Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pistol Packin' School Secretary

Last night I watched an interview on CNN with the president of the Gun Owners of America.  He believes that schools should not be Gun Free zones and that all teachers and school staff should carry concealed weapons.  I was astonished to learn that they support legislation to do just that.

I have been trying to get my head around that thought all night.  As a matter of fact I woke up at 4:00 a.m. thinking about it.  


  • Pistol Packin' School Secretary

I was a school secretary for 23 years.  When I was hired in 1984, the school secretary's job was basically "mom away from home" with a little bit of office work added in.  I took attendance, sold lunch tickets, gave out band aids, called parents when their child was sick and knew some first aid to take care of broken arms until the parents could get them to the doctor.  

An additional job requirement:   Carrying a gun
I have been trying to picture myself carrying a weapon to school every day. What would that be like?

  • Daily Weapon Procedures and Dress Code

Let's see, I would start off by checking my weapon each morning before I went out the door to drive to work.  Would I wear my weapon on my hip, behind my back or across my chest?  What kind of weapon would it be?  I've never fired a pistol, but I should tell you that I have killed a deer, back in 1972.  I do know how to shoot a rifle, but I'm not much of a hunter.  

OK, so back to the weapon.  Maybe it would be Glock, like the one in the massacre in Newtown?  I think I would need an extra clip.  Where would I put the clip?  Do I always wear the gun or can I lay it on my desk?  NO, probably not in a school.  Would the dress code require wearing a jacket every day to conceal the weapon?



  • Training and Funding

I would need training of course.  What stance do I take when I am firing at the perpetrator? Could I really do this?  Who would pay for this training?  I am thinking that maybe the NRA or the Gun Owners of America since most schools do not have money for this.  


There were three secretaries in the main office at my school.  I am trying to picture the three of us carrying our weapons, working in the office and when the perpetrator shoots his way through the front door, we all get in position and take him out.  It would be just another part of the school day.  I am sure it would seem routine once we have training exercises showing us just how to do that.  I am betting that Jana would have been the best shot.  Julie would have had the quickest reaction.  I am not sure I could do it.  I might have lost my job.


  • Additional Weapons Cache

  I think of all the teachers I worked with over the years and for the most part, they were really great people.  Really great people!  They would do anything for their kids.  They would do everything they could to stop a gunman. 

 That is not to say that they didn't have some issues.  There were always a few who could not remember to bring their key or card to unlock the door to get in the building.  We would have to open the front door for them every morning.  Would they forget their weapon?  Would the office have extra weapons in the safe for teachers or staff who forgot to bring their weapon to work?  Would they be engrossed in teaching their kids and accidentally leave their gun on their desk?


  • Marksmanship and Job Performance
Marksmanship would be part of our annual evaluation. (I had to look up marksmanship rankings as I had no idea what they were.) Marksman is the lowest ranking, then Sharpshooter, Expert and finally, Distinguished Rifle or Pistol.  Parents could choose which school to send their children to by the teacher's and staff marksmanship rankings.  The more Distinguished Pistol rankings at your child's school, the better.

Maybe there would be merit pay for those who were the best marksman. The NRA and Gun Owners could pay for this.  They have plenty of money.

  •  Your Second Amendment Rights

Apparently, the Gun Owners of America and the NRA feel that it is acceptable for them to force the rest of us to carry a weapon rather than take away their Second Amendment rights to own and carry semi-automatic weapons and clips with hundreds of rounds.   

Another question:  How old would you need to be to carry a gun?  12?  14?  16? Would 12 year old students be allowed to carry a weapon to school?

There were more than 16,000,000  background checks for guns that were purchased last year.  And another 16,000,000 this year!  


 32,000,000  guns sold in two years

They say that in a couple of months we will all forget about the massacre in Newtown, just like we "forgot" Aurora and Arizona and all of the others.  I hope that is not the case.   If we don't do something about guns in this country and soon, there will be another massacre somewhere else

The headline will read something like this:  35 dead in shooting at (fill in your school name), Gunman kills 45 at mall in (fill in the name of your town).   

 
It's a chilling thought.



1 comment:

  1. I'm leaning towards the derringer in the garter, Wild Wild West style.

    ReplyDelete