Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Things have slowly wound down to a standstill around here due to this problem.



Our  water heater with it's 5 year warranty made it to 7 years and tried to blow up.  We do have hot water, but I have to turn the breaker on for 35 min. before I need the water and then turn it off.

Shopping for a new water heater is a challenge when you live in the sticks.  It required a drive to Coeur d'Alene to find one that would fit in our space.  We have a rescue team arriving this afternoon to help us move out the old one and move in the new one.  Retired Mountain Man will then use his "Guy Guy" skills and finish the installation.

I have to admit that I have been enjoying no hot water.  There is no pressure to be canning salsa, green tomatoes, chutney or jam.  I get to take a break to spend more time practicing my guitar and piano and  whatever!  The carrots have been harvested though and are resting in their winter bed of sand in the root cellar.




This is a very comforting fall photo.





4 comments:

  1. "Comforting" is the perfect word for that picture. Miss you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops... there was a mix up. The bag o' carrots we gobbled yesterday were, apparently, the ones which had not yet been frozen. The "test bag" of blanched carrots which had been frozen turned out to be rubberized. It is a good thing I didn't do that to all of them. I guess I need to do more testing.
    Anyhow... Yummy, yummy carrots. Wish me luck on the next batch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay... the ones I blanched a little longer boiled up very nicely (bright orange, tender and tasty). I am going to write down what I did for next year. Now if I could figure out how to grow something other than weeds...
    What a HUGE amount of knowledge you have stored in your noggin Connie! All of the trial and error out of the way and know-how stowed away for harvest time... I am so jealous. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete