Thursday, June 21, 2012

I have a diamond in my kitchen!

Our good friends just returned from a trip to France and Italy and surprised us with a wonderful gift, a truffle!  It is has been said that a truffle is the diamond of the kitchen.  I would agree.  Retired Mountain Man and I both spent quite a bit of time just standing and looking at it, saying wow, can you believe that?

I never thought I would ever get a chance to taste one.  When we opened the package, the fragrance filled the entire kitchen.  I have heard that their flavor is very unique and that they can transform a simple dish into something wonderful.  Retired Mountain Man and I are going to enjoy this experience.



t. aestivum

I had to do some research to find out just what to do with this baby.  How to store it, what is the best way to prepare it, etc.

I found out that there are white truffles, black truffles, summer and burgundy truffles.  This one is a summer truffle, t. aestivum.  They say to serve it fresh, by thinly shaving slices over pasta, egg or rice dishes.  They actually make a truffle shaver so that the truffle can be served right at the table.

One disappointing fact I discovered while doing my research on truffles, is that the majority of the truffle oil on the market does not have any truffles in it.  It is artificially flavored.  Bummer.

 
Summer Truffle resting on an olive wood cutting board.


I can't wait to try this one on top of some pasta with a little olive oil and butter.  Tonight's dinner is going to be very special! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow! I hope you can save just a little piece until Sunday so I can smell it--or even the paper it came in. That is so cool, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect gift for such mushroom lovers! However, I am still skeptical that it can rival the mighty MOREL! I am looking forward to hearing/reading the meal review!

    ReplyDelete