Friday, May 11, 2012

Gold Fever




Left to right:  Linda, Jamie, Griz Eileen, Runaway Roy, Retired Mountain Man holding the Chemist, and Don, Guitar Man.




I ran across this photo to share with you.  It was taken in 1975.  They are standing in front of the entrance to the Auxor Mine.  We didn't know then that we would become part of a gold mining operation a year later in the last attempt to "get rich quick" by mining gold out of the Auxor.  There were lots of hours of hard work and many expenses and very little gold. 

I am reminded of the movie, Paint Your Wagon, and the song Gold Fever.  We definitely had a serious case of Gold Fever.  It went on for several years until one by one, all of the "pardners" dropped out.  







Then I got...
Gold fever
No romp 'n rollin' girl
And fellow stuck
'Cause your the, gold fever
Nothin' can help you
But the yellow stuff

Gold!
Gold!
Hooked am I!

3 comments:

  1. Look at those hopeful alchemists! Is that the atomic symbol for gold (Au) above the mine shaft?! Awesome!
    What a big baby (David, I really mean that in the nicest way... not like when we play Scrabble and you cry)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I can't remember if it said Auxor or just AU. Yes, David was a chubby little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your blog searching for history of the Auxor Mine. I live in Sandpoint, and have recently taken up prospecting as a hobby. I tried to hike up there yesterday, but there's still quite a bit of snow. I was wondering if you could tell me more about your experiences at the Auxor mine. My email is supsamuel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete