Monday, March 5, 2012

He is one of those guy, guys! Those guys with skills!

One of our favorite movies is Six Days and Seven Nights.  The two main characters, Quinn, (Harrison Ford) and Robin, (Anne Heche) are stranded on a deserted island somewhere in the Pacific Ocean after their plane crashes. 
They wake up the next morning after the crash and this is one of my favorite scenes from the movie:


Robin: Whoa. What happened?
Quinn: It crumpled the landing gear when we hit.
Robin: Well, aren't you gonna fix it? I mean can't we, can't we reattach it somehow?
Quinn: Sure, we'll, like, glue it back on.

Robin: Aren't you one of those guys?
Quinn: What guys?
Robin: Those guy guys, you know, those guys with skills.

Quinn: Skills?

Robin: Yeah. You send them into the wilderness with a pocket knife and a Q-tip and they build you a shopping mall. You can't do that?

Quinn: No, I can't do that, but I can do this:
[Pops finger out of the side of his mouth]
Quinn: Does that help?

I am lucky to be married to one of those guy, guys and he didn't pop his finger out of the side of his mouth when I said, "Can't you fix it?"  My vacuum that is. 

You see a week ago on Sunday when I got ready to vacuum it wouldn't turn on.  Retired Mountain Man and I spent the next hour and a half taking the vacuum apart to figure out what was wrong.




It was not easy.  Hoover no longer gives you a manual with parts or how to take the machine apart except to replace the bag or the belt.  After troubleshooting to the point of taking the entire machine apart, he decided that it was the Internal "on/off switch" that was buried inside the machine that had to be replaced.  (It couldn't simply be the external switch on the handle which was easy to get at.)

I immediately went on the Internet to find a replacement.



One week later it arrived in the mail, but it was the wrong part.  No worries.  He can build a shopping mall with a pocket knife and a Q-tip. 



A side note about the two spade clips for the connection.  It was the last two he had.  He found them the day after David was born 38 years ago in the parking lot at Community Hospital in Missoula.  Someone had taken a small box of electrical parts about the size of a fishing tackle box out of their car and left them on the ground in the parking lot.  They were free. 



In no time at all he had it back together and running.  I know it's only a vacuum, but if our plane did crash and we were stranded on an island, Retired Mountain Man would get us out of there.  All he needs is a pocket knife.  He doesn't really need the Q-tip.



2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Great job Jon! Now I know why my hubby is handy as a pocket on a shirt.
    Great post Connie! Bravo! I literally clapped my hands!

    ReplyDelete