Friday, December 23, 2011

Winter Solstice 2011


Yesterday afternoon, Retired Mtn Man and I went for our walk in the woods.  It was a beautiful winter day with all the snow on the trees. I wanted to take my camera but he said, "no camera".  You see, Retired Mtn Man does not like to stop when he is hiking.  He something like a mountain goat, sprinting up the mountain and back down without even taking a deep breath.  Not me.  I am a total klutz.  I can barely walk without tripping over my feet, so unless I stop to look at something, the only thing I see is where I am going to place my foot next. 

Well, I am hiking with the guy who has eyes like a hawk and never misses a thing as we are walking up the trail. So, there was "no stopping" and "no camera" to take the really cool picture of the sun breaking through the clouds over the lake.  You just have to imagine what it looked like.  Sun rays shining down from the clouds onto the sparkling water. 

There were lots of fresh deer and elk tracks and the usual squirrel and rabbit tracks.  We haven't seen any wolf tracks yet, but we have had reports that there are wolves on Howe Mountain and also wolf tracks on the 80, which is about two miles from here.  Something about that makes me a little uneasy.  




In the evening, the Cougar Creek Band played at the Outskirt's Cafe for the Winter Solstice celebration.   There was good food and wine to keep us warm.  It's a good thing because the low was 15 degrees.  



Now we are all into the final countdown.  Christmas Eve is tomorrow.  I am almost ready.  How about you?  I have a few gifts to wrap and cookies to bake.



I love Andy Rooney's advice:

"One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day.  Don't clean it up too quickly. "  






And a few words from the wise Dr. Seuss:


And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?  It came without ribbons.  It came without tags.  It came without packages, boxes or bags.  And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore.  Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.  What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.  What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.










And last but not least:  I saw momma kissing Santa Claus. 


2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I, for one, am fully on board with your studio idea. You should enjoy and utilize every square inch of your square footage without worry. It won't deter us!
    We will swap stories and pictures of the pending chaos and we are looking forward to "decorating" your living room with a festive mess soon :)
    I LOVE the picture of GreatGrandmaGriz kissing Mr.St.Nick!!! I need a copy of that to frame :)

    ReplyDelete